Saturday, January 27, 2007

Writing Press Releases - An Editors Perspective

As I was writing that email about welcoming press releases, I thought how different it is on this side of the editorial desk. I've been getting a few press releases, and I wonder sometimes, "Do these people really think this will get published?"Here are a few tips about writing an editor-friendly press release:

1. Think about the reader's needs and not your own.

This is very important. As an editor, I am not out to promote your book or to promote Christian literature. I am out to provide something I believe will beneficial to my reader. Knowing about the release of new books in my field is beneficial. Being hit over the head with a lot of blatant propaganda about how wonderful the book is without my having actually reviewed it, is not.

2. Know the publication.

I have an adult (and I mean a site for adults, not the other type of "adult") science fiction e-zine. I got an email from someone who publishes children's books. And they weren't even science fiction oriented. That was a waste of time and effort sending it to me.

3. Just the facts, ma'am.

Remember Joe Friday on Dragnet. Peoplewould wander off telling a story, and he would interrupt them and say, "Justthe facts, just the facts." Facts are neutral, objective, bits of information about your book. "This novel will be released May 15 and is the third novel in the Novel Trilogy," is a fact. "This is a great read thatyou will be talking about tomorrow," is not a fact. It's an opinion. Unless that opinion is part of a quote from someone the audience and the editor will recognize instantly, don't use it.

4. Include quotes.

Quotes humanize a story. You can quote yourself, but keep the quotes interesting, but not like mini sales pitches. Tell about how you came to write the book, what interesting experiences you might have had researching it. Why you think the topic is important. That sort ofthing.

5. Include contact information.

If I want more information, how do Iget back in touch. If I printed out the press release, I might not have your email address on the print out. So include it on the release. Also include a phone number in case the editor wants to talk to you live and in person.

6. Clean it up.

Check spelling, punctuation and grammar. I would say especially check grammar. You can explain away an occasional dropped comma or misspelled word as typos, but there is no excuse for sentence fragments or subject-verb agreement errors.

The ideal press release is one which the editor can feel confident copying and pasting directly into his or herwebsite or print publication.If you can write a good press release from an editor's perspective, you will greatly increase your chances of getting that press release published.

Terri

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home